Our consultants have in-depth experience in assessing renewal documents and providing guidance on where to focus discussions with a health and welfare benefit plan vendor to reduce the quoted rate increase (or identify additional cost reduction if experiencing a rate decrease) and quoted premiums.
Using information provided during your renewal process along with any other available plan information from your vendor plan, AFAS Consultants will conduct an analysis of the renewal information, identify the assumptions used and the administrative expense load that generated the rate adjustment, and provide you with information to use in discussion with your vendor regarding the adjustment. We will compare these assumptions and administrative expense loads against those commonly used in other renewal analyses and markets and use that to identify opportunities to help negotiate a better renewal outcome.
- Collect plan document, renewal, cost and utilization, and enrollment information.
- Review historical claim experience and develop financial analyses to determine appropriateness of renewal action.
- Compare renewal assumptions and non-claim costs against benchmarks
- Create budget projections under self-funding and comparison to current and projected costs under a fully-insured environment.
- Offer strategy to negotiate renewal with vendor.
- Participate in meeting with vendor during negotiations.
- Renewal negotiation strategy and supportive analyses.
- Considerations for current and future benefit strategy.